Unsure about Botox? Nervous about injections? Microneedling is a great alternative to improving fine lines associated with aging! It doesn’t involve the injection of any medications, just pricking the skin with tiny sterilized needles. Depending on the area of your face or body being treated and the size of the needle used, the procedure is well tolerated, and in some cases, virtually painless, feeling only a mild prickling sensation. Topical anesthetic is also used to reduce any pain and discomfort.
There are a multitude of benefits associated with microneedling. It increases production of collagen and elastin by the body naturally, tightening the skin and giving it a refreshed, youthful glow. This process can also be enhanced with PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma).
The use of PRP requires that we extract a small amount of your own blood and spin it down to extract it. Then, it is used in the microneedling procedure to drastically speed up the healing process, and collagen/elastin production!
In terms of skin quality, microneedling provides a significant reduction in pore size, fine lines, and can improve the appearance of acne, as well as the scarring and dark spots associated with it.
Microneedling is not just for your face! Improvements in the appearance of both stretch marks and deeper scars associated with previous surgery can be achieved with this procedure.
A wide variety of skin locations can be treated including but not limited to the tummy, thighs and arms. Common surgical scars such as from tummy tucks, breast augmentation or reduction, cesarean section, and other post surgical scarring can all benefit from the application of microneedling.
Last but never least, the maintenance of beautiful, radiant skin. Call our office for a free consultation and let us help you change the way you feel about you!
Frequently Asked Questions and Important Tips for Maximizing Effectiveness and Appearance Before and After your Microneedling Treatment
- Your skin will be pink or red in appearance following skin needling treatment, much like a sunburn. Temporary redness and mild sunburn effects may last up to 3-4 days.
- Some minor bleeding and bruising is possible, depending on the intensity of the procedure (for example, the length of the needle used for the particular indication being treated and the number of times it is passed across the treatment area). Your skin may also feel warm, tight, and itchy for a short while. This should subside in 12-48 hours.
- PRP or Infadolan (Vit. A & D ointment) can be applied. This promotes the healing of damaged skin post-treatment.
- Side effects or risks are minimal with this type of treatment and typically include minor flaking or dryness of the skin, with scab formation in rare cases.
- Hyperpigmentation (darkening of certain areas of the skin) can occur very rarely and usually resolves after a month.
- Freckles may lighten and/or temporarily or permanently disappear in treated areas.
- Notify your provider prior to treatment if any of the following apply to you: active infections, rashes, warts, skin cancer, active acne, skin-related autoimmune disorders, use of anticoagulants (NSAIDS, ASA, Coumadin/Warfarin), pregnancy and lactation, recent ablative dermal procedures, rosacea, diabetes, actinic (solar) keratosis, and/or a history of keloid formation.