PRP stands for Protein Rich Plasma. It is an office based procedure that involves the removal of a small amount of your own blood that is processed and used as a medical grade lubricant to revitalize your skin. It is typically used with microneedling. It uses your own body’s plasma to tighten and smooth your skin, as well as aid in healing by decreasing inflammation. Collagen production in the face is multiplied by the natural effects of platelets and plasma at the cellular level. Best of all, aside from a small prick during the blood withdrawal portion of the procedure, the application is completely pain-free!
Call our office for a free consultation and let us help you change the way you feel about you!
Frequently Asked Questions and Important Tips for Maximizing Effectiveness and Appearance Before and After your PRP
- If you have symptoms of a fever, cold, covid-19 or the flu, or develop a cold sore, blemish, or rash, etc. in the area to be treated prior to your appointment, your treatment may need to be postponed until you are well again.
- If you have a special event or vacation coming up, it is recommended that you schedule your treatment at least 2 weeks in advance (3-4 weeks is ideal).
- If you are being treated in the lip area and have a history of herpes (cold sores) with outbreaks more than 4 times a year, some practitioners recommend that you are pretreated with medication to prevent a flare. This office recommends Valtrex, **Please let us know that you need a prescription if you do not have this medication on hand.**
- Discontinue use of anti-inflammatory drugs (steroidal and non- steroidal) such as: aspirin, Motrin, Advil, or any other ibuprofen drugs at least 3 days to 1 week before your treatment. With PRP, we actually want inflammation, this is one of the mechanisms of how PRP does its work.
- It is recommended that you avoid: alcohol, caffeine, niacin supplements, spicy foods, and cigarettes 3 days before and after your treatment, as all of these may increase the risk of bruising.
- If you are or have been on systemic use of corticosteroids (steroids such as prednisone, methylprednisolone, Medrol dose pack, etc.) within 2 weeks of treatment, we cannot treat you while on this medication. Please consult your prescribing physician for approval to discontinue use of steroids and determine when it is safe for you to receive treatment.
- Discontinue use of any other blood thinning supplements such as: vitamin E, vitamin A, ginkgo biloba, garlic, flaxseed oil, cod liver, or other forms of fish oil, essential fatty acids (EFAs and DHAs) etc., at least 3 days to 1 week before and after treatment to minimize bruising and bleeding.
- Since our PRP application may be topical and may not involve any facial injections, there are minimal restrictions, allowing you to return to your daily activities almost immediately.
- Do not wash or take a shower for at least 6 hours after your treatment.
- Do not use any lotions, creams, or makeup for at least 6 hours after your treatment.
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sun and heat exposure for at least 3 days after your treatment.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and cigarettes for 3 days before and after your treatment.
- Maintain a healthy diet and drink at least 64 ounces of water total the day of the treatment. Fiji water is recommended due to its high content of silica. Continue adequate water intake the first week after.
- It is unlikely, but you may develop a small bruise at the site of the blood draw. This will almost always resolve quickly on its own.